Saturday 1 February 2014

The Best Day of the Week? Every Day!

Which is your most favourite day of the week? Why?

Sunday used to be mine. 

I love the lazy feel of Sundays. As a child, it was the only day we got to sleep in, no chores and less contention in the house. Breakfast, no matter how humble, it was plentiful and while we were still having it, dinner was on the fire.

Going to Church on a Sunday was the law in my mother's house - for the children, not her. By one in the afternoon when we returned home, Sunday dinner was ready, only awaiting the table to be set. This was not for everyone but for the man of the house, my step father at the time. The best cutlery was for him. In fact, most of the meal and for sure the 'best' pieces of meat were his.

Things changed a lot when I became a mother and had my own home. Church was optional and if that Sunday it was the option of choice, I was very much in the car. Sunday breakfast continued to be a big deal but it was not always at home. Many Sunday mornings would find us on the beach having fish and festivals. Other times, we would do Sunday brunch at a popular restaurant or at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel, where they served one of the best brunches.

Our Sunday dinners were not as early as my mother's and way more equitable! It was the rule though that we dined together, everyone using the best knives and forks in the house and conversation was a must. It was at my Sunday dining table that my daughter was instructed on table manners, proper use of her cutlery - the full set, and the art of polite conversation. We spoke politics, school work, music (which was always in the background), and any other topic important to her in that moment.

Life has changed a lot for me in the ensuing years. 

Many Sundays since 2006 are spent in my own company. What I have found in that time is that any day can be a Sunday. You do not have to wait until Sunday to go to Church, eat a nice meal or sleep in.

"Pray unceasingly," is what Paul of Scriptures wrote. My life, my walking and more and more, my communicating is a prayer. My most ardent prayers are my daily conversations with Source. Sitting on a bus, stuck in traffic, talking with a challenging client and I am quietly asking for guidance.

Come visit me any day of the week, including today, Saturday, and a three course spread will be ready in a few. To top it, you will be dining with the best cutlery in my house!

Live each day as fully as you can! Drink from the crystal, wear your prized dress and dance! This beautiful poem says it best:

Live Each Day to the Fullest by S. H. Payer

Live each day to the fullest. 
Get the most from each hour, each day, and each age of your life. 
Then you can look forward with confidence, and back without regrets. 

Be yourself, but be your best self. 
Dare to be different and follow your own star. 

Don’t be afraid to be happy and enjoy what is beautiful. 
Love with all your heart and soul. 
Believe that those you love, love you. 

When you are faced with decision, make that decision as wisely as possible, then forget it. 
The moment of absolute certainty never arrives. 

Above all, remember that God helps those who help themselves. 
Act as if everything depended on you and pray as if everything depended on God. 

Have a full day! Share how you spent it with me here or on our Facebook page. You may also follow us on Twitter.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment