Friday 31 January 2014

What Kind of Stories Are You Telling?

My patience ran extremely thin and finally snapped several years ago. I had told one too many sob stories and Patience quit me.
Romance novels, filled with heartbreak and pain, were my favourites growing up. The more unfortunate the story, the more tears it illicited from me, the more I devoured it.

Same is true for television shows, the "soaps" that are awash with lies, deceit and betrayals. We just cannot get enough of the drama! I would not even begin to describe the fare fed daily, minutely, every darn secondly by the news media.

Almost two years now, I decided to turn off the news. Many years prior to that, the television was removed from my bedroom. The time had come when I no longer wanted or needed Wolf Blitzer or even the indomitable Christiana Amanpour to direct my thoughts.

Neither did I need to listen to one more sob story from myself. Enough! 

"You bring about what you think about," is one of my favourite quotes. I usually add "persistently" at the end as it is my belief that a thought that crosses my mind for a second might not 'come about'. However, those things that we, as the Jamaican in me love to say, "draw long bench" on are the ones shaping our experiences.

We all desire to live "the good life." However, our training in news reporting is getting in the way. If your habit is to call up your friends, post to Facebook, BBM everyone on your contact list to report the latest episode in the dramatic production entitled "Your Life," then do not be shocked at the manifestations.

Do not get me wrong, storytelling is a wonderful thing. It is free entertainment, can offer merriment and serves as an important tool to impart life's lessons to others. There, however, are life-giving and life-sucking stories. You get to choose which ones you want to tell and/or hear.

My hope is that you will most frequently chose the stories that will uplift, empower and fill you and those listening with beauty, light and love. Please share some with us here or on our Facebook page. Follow us as well on Twitter.

Have an awe-filled day.

No comments:

Post a Comment