Monday 20 January 2014

Have You Set Your Intentions Yet?

We have covered this at least twice before. However, as I am certain that quite a few of you have neither set your intentions nor made resolutions for 2014, the 'class' is being repeated.

New Year's Resolutions are something that went out the window for me quite a few years ago. It came to a breaking point when I realized that every year my resolutions were all broken by February 1. In 2000, listening to the senior Minister at my new church, I learned about "setting intentions" for one's life. What is the difference?

Resolutions are usually very deterministic with a target date, weight or quantity as the measures of success. The maxim with goals (resolutions) is that they have to be: Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Relevant
Time-bound

Some management professionals and teachers add E and R to that, making it SMARTER goals. The E being "evaluate" or even "ethical" and the R - "review," "reevaluate," or "rewarding."

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with goal setting, it is not for me, particularly when it concerns my life and at the beginning of a new year. For a project, yes I will set a goal as either my employer or client requires a measurable output. "Intentions," on the other hand, focuses more on the "big picture." What is the 'vision' for your life? Where do you see yourself in terms of vocation? What is your passion and how do you envision making an income pursuing it? What does your dream house looks like?

Those are some of the questions "Intentions" ask. Notice how often the words 'see' and even 'vision' arise in those questions? Setting intentions for your life is a visioning process. Creating a vision board, whether on paper or electronically is what I refer to as the "backward plan." The intention is naming your highest and best desires for your life as you can see it in this moment. The vision board items are the daily, weekly, monthly or even yearly reminders.

As an example, here is one of my intentions:

"It is my intention to live how I want, where I want, with whom I want and doing things that increases my feelings of well being, joy and abundance." 

Walking "backwards" from this intention, I have images depicting my vision of "living...where...with whom" and the things that I see myself doing. There are pictures of an apartment/townhouse (for the immediate), images of my dream home and places/surroundings that I desire to live in. As well, there are images of the partner I desire - more charactistics rather than a set face/body type. Albeit, Bruce Willis is who I really desire! Lol

Your vision board does not have to look as mine does but I urge you to get to doing one. There is a famous quote:

"If you don't build your dream someone will hire you to help build theirs." ― Tony A. Gaskins Jr.

Feel free to write to me with any questions on this or any other topic. Contact me either through the comment/email sections here or on Facebook. You can also follow us on Twitter @DOSFoundation.

Have a blessed week and stay connected with us as we explore this "Failure is not an option," theme.

Photo Source:  www.kimdeancoaching.com

No comments:

Post a Comment