Saturday 25 January 2014

Sing Your Song!

Over my life thus far, I have had the opportunity to travel a bit of our world. During these trips, it was my pleasure and honour to have met people from much further than I had ventured.

One thing was common in my meeting with people from across the world and it was their reactions when I said my home country is Jamaica.

 "Bob Marley!" 

It is a wonderful feeling being embraced wherever one goes in the world, even if it is for a compatriot's achievements. The Honourable Robert Nesta Marley took our island home onto the world stage with him trough his music and power-filled lyrics. Many of his songs have deep personal meaning to me, reflecting a sociopolitical period in my life and/or love that was once my experience.

That is true of many songs from different genres. I love music. Classical, country, jazz, reggae, gospel, R&B, hip hop, blues and folk songs can be found on my playlist. Somehow though, for just about every song that I repeatedly listen to, there is a story that can be related to each.

"And I thought about how many people have loved those songs. And how many people got through a lot of bad times because of those songs. And how many people enjoyed good times with those songs. And how much those songs really mean. I think it would be great to have written one of those songs. I bet if I wrote one of them, I would be very proud. I hope the people who wrote those songs are happy. I hope they feel it's enough. I really do because they've made me happy. And I'm only one person." Stephen Chbosky 
Do you find yourself listening to a certain genre or two on specific days or at specific times in your life?

Sunday is my gospel and jazz day, granted I do listen to gospel when I am doing 'kneel' time. As for those heart wrenching R&B songs, ironically they are the tunes for when I need a good cry. Bob's music, for the most part, stirs up the rebel in me. Tracey Chapman's give me a sense of "you either take me real or walk!"

How does music affect you? What is your favourite genre and songs? Do share with me by posting some on our Facebook page or "blast" one at us on Twitter.
"If music be the food of love, play on, Give me excess of it; that surfeiting, The appetite may sicken, and so die." William Shakespeare
Sing your song sweet music man, I'm listening!

Photo Source: downloadwallpaperhd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment