Sunday 26 January 2014

Blessings: Press Down, Shaken Together & Running Over

Religion or religiosity, actually, neither being spiritual is required for one to assume the much proclaimed "attitude of gratitude." 

Attending Church was a weekly practice for me growing up. My mother insisted that I should join the neighborhood children and go to Church. Ironically, while packing me off, the only time she herself attended the "House of the Lord,"was either for a funeral or wedding. That struck me as highly contradictory. Even worse, by the time I got home after hours of watching the machinations of the adults, my mother was busy enumerating her burdens.

Gratitude and the intentional practice of counting one's blessings were "attitudes" that I developed much later in life. For too long, I tried my mother's ways of telling my troubles to anyone who would listen, worry about problems - real and imagined and giving away my mind, piece by piece, to anything and anyone that disturbed me. None of these strategies worked - neither consistently nor produced the results I desired.

See, my desires were and remain no different from anyone else'.

As you, I desire to live a healthy, joy-filled, abundant and prosperous life. The challenge was the parameters kept changing. Abundance and prosperity were measured against the size of my bank account, whether I owned or rented a house, my job title and salary and where and how often we vacationed. Joy was dependent on fulfilling those requirements. My health deteriorated as I did not.

This state of affairs continued well into my 30's. It mattered not that my income was well above average, the fact that by then I had owned two houses, the latest model truck and car were parked in my garage, my credit was excellent (if not the size of my bank account) and that I had traveled a fair bit of the world. Certainly, I had heard that gratitude was the best attitude; I even had several gratitude journals, books, tapes and attended countless seminars by then.

Something, however, was still off. 

One day my eyes just opened and my hearing unblocked as I sat talking with an inmate. This was not my first conversation with an incarcerated person nor with this individual. I was working in a correctional facility going on four years at the time of my "holy encounter" with this person.

The basic story was the same as any I had heard before from inmates and even my own. Growing up with a single parent struggling to make ends meet, feelings of abandonment by the other parent, childhood sexual abuse, physical and verbal abuse by parent, raised in an environment of poverty-consciousness, etc. All this eventually translated into a misguided pursuit of belonging, happiness, success, wealth and wholeness.

The turning point conversation for me was when the individual said to me, "You know that you are a prisoner just like me, right?" My initial reaction was to rule him out of order, to tell him in no uncertain terms that he had passed his place. Instead, I looked at him in wide-eyed silence and allowed his observation to sink in.

From that day, I took a full inventory of my life. I checked the number of bars on my cell and the strength of each. Then I prayed for Wisdom to lead me out. What happened in the next few years not only released me from my prison but changed my course. I stopped measuring, calculating and complaining. 

My title now is "Primary Counter of Blessings."

Each morning as I open my eyes, my first thought is "Thank you, Spirit and may I in this day be a blessing in my world. May your Grace continue to flow to me, pressed down, shaken together and overflowing. And, may you guide me as to how to share your blessings to me with whomever comes into my presence or consciousness." 

The houses, the cars and the bling do not matter to me now. Whether there is a lover in my life does not make me any more happy or sad. There is a sense of well being about me now and it purifies with each passing day and/or challenge. My friends say that I am glowing. I am way more discerning about what and who I allow in my consciousness and entertain in my physical space and for how long.

Those are some of the blessings being intentionally grateful has brought to me. Finally, I am free! 

It would be my privilege and honour to discuss or hear about your journey in gratitude. Feel free to email me, leave a comment here or on our Facebook page. You may also follow us on Twitter.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday! Namaste

Photo Source: godisincontrol.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment