Sunday 23 February 2014

This Too Shall Pass: Pain & Pleasure

I know my friends are sometimes impatient with me or simply do not understand my attitude about some things.

Take death as one example. 

I have been told not to say it or to stop being morbid. However, I will do no such thing as "I do not fear death and an ready whenever it's my time to transition." There, I said it again.

In the same way, I try my best to refrain from labelling an experience "bad" or "good." It might cause me pain or it might bring me joy. Whatever the case, it is an experience. Simple.

Friday past was designated as our "Happy Day," and would you know I got into a major quarrel with someone very special to me! "Happy Day" was going sideways in a handbasket and while I was largely responsible for the trip, there was not one thing I could do to turn it around.

My spiritual teachers would say that the momentum was way advanced and I just had to hang tight for the crash landing. That is precisely what I did. Refusing to predict how things would end or label the experience, after praying to be shown what the lesson was, I waited. As always, my prayer of acceptance ended with: "This too shall pass." That to me is a power-filled attitude to maintain about anything, everything and everyone.

Like most, I first thought that saying originated in the Bible. It actually did not. Derived from a Sufi fable, the phrase was attributed to King Solomon. Here is one version of the sufi story, as printed and reproduced in Eckhart Tolle's book, A New Earth:

"There was once a king in the middle east, who was constantly torn between happiness and despair. The slightest thing would provoke a strong reaction in him, and when he felt happiness, it would swiftly turn into disappointment or hopelessness.
 
The king eventually became so tired of himself, and his life, that he decided to face his problems and call for help. He was notified of a wise man in his kingdom, that was said to be enlightened. The king pleaded for his help, and when the wise man came to see the king, the king told him: 'I want to be as you are. I want balance and clarity in my life – And i will pay you any price you demand for that insight.' 
The wise man responded: 'I might be able to help you, but this insight is so valuable, that the entirety of your kingdom will not be enough to pay for it. That’s why i will give it to you as a gift, if you will honor it.' The king promised he would, and the wise man went on his way. 
Weeks later the wise man came to the king again. This time bringing a jade shrine. The shrine contained a golden ring with arab letters inscribed on it. The letters said: 'This too shall pass.' 'What is the meaning of this?' the king asked as he stood baffled. 
The wise man told him to always carry this ring on him, and to always look at it before he judged anything again. Good or bad. 'Do this and peace will be with you always' the wise man said."

Within a few hours of praying and being guided to the lesson of my experience, the test came. My phone "pinged," and it was my opportunity to demonstrate whether I was ready to move to the next level.

A particular friend has tried to chide me that a certain lesson has been repeating itself. I say tried because I do my best not to take on people's opinions. I will  listen but here again your opinion is neither bad or good. Spirit leads me. So yes, it is true that the full magnitude of the learning was still revealing itself to me and yesterday I realized why.

Until you are ready to face things - person and/or situation - squarely, without denial it will keep appearing and the form will change.

When you are ready to say, "I am not afraid of you anymore, you have no power over me AND you too will pass," it will be Graduation Day. I matriculated yesterday, up from kindergarten into the University of Love.

That is the only constant - Love - as it is the principle of Life. Methods change, Principles do not.

Feel free to share with me your experience with this saying. Let me know here, on Facebook or Twitter if assuming a stance of acceptance as had any impact on your sense of peace.

Do continue to enjoy the rest of your day. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment