Saturday 15 February 2014

Happy Birthday Indeed!

For the first six or seven years of my life, my mother religiously threw a birthday party for me. Then they stopped for some reason. I think money became a real challenge by my seventh year.

Noticeable as it was even to my small mind that the parties had come to an end, it was not devastating. Somewhere in my memory there are images of confusion and strife between my mother and step father around these parties. The young me clearly understood that the celebration was not embraced by all or wrapped in total love.

The next time there was a birthday party, hosted by my mother, would be my "Sweet Sixteen." My memory of this the last party that she would throw for me is again not completely pleasant. I do, however, recall having a serious crush on someone - a boy name Errol and he did not turn up for the big event. The funny thing is, someone else had a crush on me and did turn up, unfortunately as this was an experience a girl of that age ought not to have had.

Before you the reader get the wrong impression, let me quickly say that while my journey was full of pits and falls, I truly feel blessed for everyone. Now at this point, on this day February 15, 2014 celebrating my 40+ birthday, I can with conviction say, "My life is rich and I am grateful." 

The last birthday party that I had was in Edmonton, Alberta in 2006. It was a fun-filled pyjama party that had my then partner cheating right in front of me! Lol

My next big bash, if I am granted the time, will be next February. It will be a bash and a bang whether I an celebrating it alone or in the company of friends. The vision of the occasion is already imprinted on my imagination, awaiting execution. My Beloved will be there as always.

My Beloved is Spirit and Spirit takes the form of who or what I need for highest and widest expansion in the moment. That is the lesson of all these birthday parties - embrace them and the memory of them for the essence of what they were.

Today, I am celebrating this birthday with friends near and far. I thank each and everyone for the phone calls, the greetings on Facebook and Twitter. I am honoured by the messages and conversations on BBM and I am deeply moved by the wine and cake private 'party' later this afternoon.

A very enormous thank you and I love you to the one who has had my attention for a little while now. Your sharing this day with me as we have is truly precious.

Oprah's closing piece in her magazine include these words: "This I Know For Sure." I borrow them today and say,
"I know for sure that Love is real, has always been and forever will be as long as we are."
Love has been with me, amidst the parties and when the music was barely discernible. So, I am full of gratitude for another year and more chances to expand into what I am, which is Love.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment