Monday 6 October 2014

What Is The Price of Gasoline? Question of the Day 6

Between the time that I passed the first gas station this morning and now, the price of gasoline in Edmonton dropped from C$1.13 per litre to $1.08.

If you are like me, to answer the Question of the Day you had to check online.

Yes, I drove close by a couple stations but did not pull in to check. My tank is just below ¾ full and as I have no plans for a day trip between now and the weekend, that amount of gasoline will more than take me to and from work for the next few days.

Truth be told, whether I have a trip or not, I never check the price of gasoline. What is the point?

The price will not affect my plans. Neither am I going to waste gas driving around searching for the “best deal.”

Do you?

When I first read this question around 2:30 this morning, my immediate thought was “What a piece of nonsense for a question of the day?” As I ponder it more, it struck me that there was more to the question than the price of gas. What the question did for me was it caused me to:
  1. Find out the price of gas
  2. Realise that no matter the price, there are some things you just buy if you want to or if it supports your feeling of wellbeing.
Soon after I returned to Canada in April of this year, I started looking at car prices. At the time, I was staying at my daughter’s and there were already two cars in the household. None belonged to me. What this meant was either having to fit into someone else’s schedule or take public transportation.

The bus service in Edmonton is pretty good but not as linked as Toronto’s to the train service. There are parts of the city that is not connected, not yet, to the city trains. It makes a trip to the farthest points, well, far. As I was in the job hunting mode, that limitation restricted the areas that I could apply for jobs.

I needed my own car.

Within three weeks of being back, I was more than gainfully employed and by the end of the second month, I owned my own car.  For some, owning a car is a luxury and I understand that. For me, it is not only a necessity but tantamount to freedom – my sense of independence required my having the keys to my own car. I had been a car owner since the 1990’s and temporarily “lost” that status for the two years that I lived in Toronto.  It was not a state that was pleasant for me – no matter the price of gasoline.

Image: heinz.com
It is like ketchup. I have tried eating other brands of ketchup but ever since the day that I was introduced to Heinz Ketchup, no other satisfies my need, yes need, for ketchup on my eggs. It’s Heinz ketchup or none at all.

The same is true for gasoline price. Whatever the price, I am buying.

Some things you do not compromise on – ketchup and fuel for your freedom, correct?

Share your answer with us on our Facebook page or here and continue to buy gas and ketchup! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment