Wednesday 22 October 2014

My Favourite Sound Is...: Question #22

BeyoncĂ©  and I have another thing in common – our love of the ocean. Here is what she had to say:

“I'm always happy when I'm surrounded by water, I think I'm a Mermaid or I was a mermaid.

The ocean makes me feel really small and it makes me put my whole life into perspective… it humbles you and makes you feel almost like you’ve been baptized. I feel born again when I get out of the ocean.” 
As a child, my mother would send me off to the coastline of Jamaica for most of my summer vacation. This was the most magical time of my life! The roads leading to Oracabessa in the parish of St. Mary seemed extremely treacherous to me, travelling as I did in the back of the car or on public transportation. The hilly turns in Junction would cause me to puke any meal that I was silly enough to eat before leaving home.

My stomach remained unsettled for most of the trip until my first glimpse of the ocean as we entered Port Maria.

Yes, I indeed was a mermaid in another life and shall return to the ocean when I die. That is where I have asked my daughter to distribute my ashes – off the rocks in Wilderness District where many summer nights were spent, listening to my favourite sound  - the crashing waves on the coastline.

Question # 22 brought a smile to my lips – a wide one – as I recalled those days and nights. Whenever my spirit needs reviving, if I am in Jamaica or on any island, the shores is where solace lies for me. My homes usually have a fountain of some sort and failing that, there is always Youtube videos of waves and water sounds to mesmerize me.

What is your favourite sound? Share with me here or on the DOS Foundation page; I look forward to hearing from you. Namaste.


Claudette is the Founder of DOS Foundation and the primary Author and Editor of this blog.

Related Posts in the October Question of the Day Series:

My Last Embarrassment

No comments:

Post a Comment