Wednesday 1 October 2014

Quality Time - Who Was Your Last?

“Who is the last person you spent quality time with?”

That is the question of the day from our list of 31 Questions for October. This list was compiled in 2012 by Tami Taylor

For the month of October we will answer one of these questions and when I read the one for today (as noted above), my first thought was, “Well that would be Me, of course!” I spend so much quality time with myself that it seemed like the most logical answer. However, I thought about it more and the next person that sprung to mind was my almost three month old granddaughter, Mahalia.

Kitten, as I call her (or Li-Li as her mother calls her) and I spend at least one day a week together. Mainly on a Saturday, she arrives at my place with stroller, car seat and bag well packed to spend the day with me. Things usually progress quite well, with her insisting that I snuggle her close to me for most of the time. My skill set has vastly increased with having to learn how to mix a bottle of feed while holding her in my arms or using the facilities with her watching me. As I was saying, things usually progress quite well and on the last visit, Kitten actually flashed me a couple smiles and gurgle/babbled at me for a minute or two.

The time I get to spend with this little girl is some of the most precious hours – until 5:00 p.m. when her internal clock tells her that it is time for her mother to return and get her. All hell breaks loose and her wailing is not only piercing but unending. Maybe I ought not admit this but hey, I cannot lie. After 15 minutes of this, I too am wailing for her mother to come.

Speaking of mother, that is the last person that I would finally nominate as the one I spent quality time with. An adult.

My daughter and my journey has been like that of most mothers and daughters – rocky once the teenage years came. Abigail is one of the sweetest and most stubborn women you will ever meet. She is quietly strong-willed. My daughter has mastered the art of being a blend of my best traits and her very own. That oftentimes has been challenging for me – to meet me in my child.

Last weekend, I spent several hours with this beautiful woman. We shopped, caught a movie and chatted about our lives and our past. It was a healing time for me (if not for her). We swapped stories of our love lives, the fleeting one in my case. We laughed at memories and silently prayed for a more interesting and exciting journey for Li-Li.

Yes, the most interesting person that I spent quality time with recently is my daughter, Abigail Ayesha.

Who did you spend quality time with recently or even today? Share with us here or on our Facebook page. Be sure to check our page tomorrow, October 2, for the Question of the Day.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment