Tuesday 13 May 2014

Top Three Tips To Keep Your Relationship Strong

Let me just openly admit that I am the worst person to say or offer anything about "How To Keep A Relationship Strong."

Relationships, I have had a few but keeping them strong, I am a bit clueless.

My longest relationship lasted for 16 years. Prior to that, just before the seven year itch they were over. Months to two years have been my most recent track record. No, truth be told, weeks is more my lane.

Relationships with my girlfriends tend to do way better than the ones on the intimate side. Why? Well, any woman who I describe as my bestie or one of, she and I have developed an intimacy that goes way beyond sex. We share just about everything. She knows my bright, dark and underside - and still remain my friend.

Those who would have an intimate relationship with me are usually attracted by my smile (kidding), my personality, my intelligence (maybe), my caring nature and my conversational skills.

Then wham! They want to change me!

Except for my only really long term relationship, the transition usually comes pretty quickly. Once it becomes too onerous for me, I am out of there. In fairness, there have been times when I am the perpetuator of change. The result is the same.

So how does one remain true to self, honour their partner and keep the relationship going strong?

Turned to some experts for relationship advice, specific to keeping a relationship strong and here are three top tips:


  • "Use relationships to teach you how to be whole within. Relationships aren’t about having another person complete you, but coming to the relationship whole and sharing your life interdependently. By letting go of the romantic ideal of merging and becoming “one,” you learn as Rainer Maria Rilke says, to love the distances in relationship as much as the togetherness." Lynn Newman


  • "All strong relationships have three things in common, according to Meredith Hansen, Psy.D, a psychologist and relationship expert: trust, commitment and vulnerability. Trust allows a couple to know that their partner is there for them, truly cares about them, is coming from a good place, and supports them. It means keeping your word and putting your relationship first, especially when you’re confronting a decision that might compromise it, she said. A minor example of following through is calling your spouse to tell them you’re safe if they worry when you’re running late, she said. And it means 'demonstrating good character,' she said."


  • "Strong relationships require good communication. If you and your partner can become effective at expressing your concerns, feelings and problems, your relationship will improve. Instead of fighting, you two can have a serious but calm discussion." For some specific suggestions how to communicate better read the full article.


Should I decide to enter another intimate relationship with someone who actually lives not only in the same country but city as I do, these top three relationship tips will be fully embraced. Need to make sure that the other party knows them as well!

Do you have any tips to share with us on this topic? Leave them here and/or on our Facebook page. It would be nice to exchange tweets with you, so please Follow us.

Have a strong rest of the day!

Claudette is the Founder of Daughters of Sheba Foundation and Editor of our blog. She is a Jamaican-Canadian, an Independent Distributor of Nature's Pearl and most of all, a Free Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment