Wednesday 14 May 2014

Shine Bright Like A Diamond All Day!

It is Wednesday so we have an audio blog. Do listen here.

TRANSCRIPT

Have you ever woken up with a headache and the last thing you want to see is the sunrise? Too bright, turn it down please!!!

That was me this morning. Head throbbing for days now but arising earlier, it felt as if it was ready to explode.

Whatever you might think, posts to this blog are not pre-planned. Yes, you were right those of you who thought "man, they are all over the place!" Most times, the idea for the next day's theme and topic comes to me as I turn in for the night.

No such luck last night. As I crawled in from work, tired not because of my new workload but due to my trying to keep it together as my head threatened to drop off, my only thought was to end the day as quickly as possible.

The alarm went off at 5:00 a.m. "Shit, I haven't posted a good morning on DOS!" Nice way to start the day; definitely not how my teachers suggest. No basking in the beauty of the morning, the softness of the bed linen nor anticipating the taste of coffee on my lips.

Nope. The sun streamed in through the loft door and straight into my eyes. Too flipping bright for my retina that was counting down to the explosion of my head. I managed to ask, "What am I doing today?"

"Shine bright like a diamond," was all I heard.

Headache or not, Claudette really finds it hard to not express her opinions. So I asked for specific instructions how to do that in my ongoing state of physical discomfort and onset of emotional numbness.

No thanks to Nike, my inner voice used language that always move me - "Just do it!"

So here I am, recording this audio blog, tweeting, posting to Facebook and Google+ and in between making breakfast, packing lunches, tending to a nauseated pregnant daughter, cooking peppered steak for dinner and now getting myself ready to go manage a staff that is still trying to decipher whether I am good for their professional future.

That's life is it not? You have two choices: opt in or opt out. When the challenges come and they will, you can choose to smash the alarm, roll over and go back to sleep.

The other option is: shine through the challenges, never dimming the light that you are; using your pain as your propellant!

The author John Jakes says it well: "Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish."

But today, it's "bad girl," the diamond in rough herself who is in my ear - Rihanna - she is pumping me up.

Join us on our Facebook page or on Twitter and shine bright like a diamond my dear friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment