Tuesday 6 May 2014

The Dating Game Part 2: Over 40 And Stepping Out

Claudette Esterine
Just over two weeks ago I returned to Canada after spending a week shy of five months in Jamaica.

My love for Jamaica runs deep and it greatly saddened me that I had to leave. Again.

Fourteen years ago my family and I migrated to Canada. My daughter hated us for making her relocate, especially as she was in the throes of a new love. My then partner was the catalyst for the move and was ecstatic. I went along for the ride in hopes of keeping the relationship, which by then was in its 12th year.

To cut a long story short, one that I have written snippets about before, that relationship ended approximately four years after our migrating to Canada. Since then, I have dated mostly through online services and got married (also courtesy of an online dating site) to a gentleman from whom I have been separated for a few years now. In the time since then and now, I have had my hopes of finding "true love" dashed again by an antisocial pathological liar and con man.

If you are doing the math that puts me at 40+ years old. 

Smart, well educated (couple degrees), professionally accomplished and currently leading the Pearl Life, my journey to Jamaica was not to get my groove back. I was not on the hunt for a man (or woman for that matter) but a few did find me and there were the attendant proposals of marriage.

Being neither desperate nor silly, the attention and pproposals were spurned. I know one too many women who have been trapped in overseas love affairs with men whose hidden agenda prioritized: 1. Money and 2. Immigration Papers.

Afternoon at Hellshire Beach Good Friday
Sanely single, I hopped on a flight almost three weeks ago now and returned to Canada - western Canada - the region where I lived for most of my 12-year residency in this country. I left Jamaica with a broken heart for many reasons but primarily because my desire to be there on a more permanent basis had to be postponed.

Returning to Edmonton, Alberta to be with my daughter who is now six months pregnant has been an unexpected joy. She and my Kitten's father have both welcomed me with open arms and we are busy making plans how to move forward.

What does any of this have to do with 40+ dating?

Well, recent conversations with my daughter revealed that:
  • My son-in-law refers to me as "the old lady." He was being caring with his comment but I was not amused!
  • She, my daughter, has her ideas as to who I should date - if I must date anyone at all! 
  • A list of the "unacceptable" dates have been drawn up and it include: anyone with serious mental health issues, younger men, anyone with a criminal record, no one whose body is not fully intact, no man who wears white pointed toe shoes and has a pot belly, no transgendered person and preferably no same-sex dates!
We were on our way to a prenatal appointment or a yoga class and I stopped the car in the middle of the road - in shock!

My daughter, Abi, and I in Toronto, 2013
"Mummy," she still calls me that, "You're crazy and it's time for you to settle down and date someone 'normal' if you must!" 

Ignoring the "if you must part," my only question to my daughter was, "Did I miss something here, did we switch roles?"

Admittedly, I have led a colour-filled life! Frankly, I see no reason to stop now! Lol! However, I understand and appreciate the underlying concern, which was it is time for me to find that "true love." My daughter is only desirous of my being happy in a relationship. She has seen me through a couple, no three, really intense ones - and all ended in tears, mine.

At 40+ and in North America, online dating remains the fastest growing industry for people to meet. These sites are putting bars and BBQ's out of business and increasing the patronage at coffee shops. Cell phone and internet service providers have nothing to fear as those of us who are looking to meet our next and hopefully final mate will keep them in business.

Successful dating, online or otherwise, especially for the over 40's require a different way of thinking. Read an interesting article on this and here are five things they suggest we rethink:

  1. Accepting that your past is over, never returning, so your new "soul mate" need not match up to them. Fall in "like" with your next mate first as that might very well give you a net when the "glow" dims.
  2. There might not be immediate chemistry and your heart may very well stay in your chest. While sex is still very much alive and in my view way more uninhibited over 40, companionship and support are way up on the agenda as well.
  3. Nobody but you "completes" you! Your next mate ought to complement you.
  4. Handsome men are candy to the eyes but not only to yours! Nothing wrong with appreciating good looks and a 'hot' body but if that is all 'brother' is bringing to the table, you will be dining alone, again, soon!
  5. Dates are not interviews for your next perfect husband! Go and have fun! If he turns out to be funny, treats you respectfully but does not know proper cutlery use what's wrong with that?
  6. I love my daughter with all my heart, however my happiness is paramount. On my next round of dating, if there is one, these five tips from The Star will be my guide!

Do you agree with them? Share your dating experience with us here or on our Facebook page. You can also follow us on Twitter.

Continue to make this an awe-filled day and remember to have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment