Friday 23 May 2014

My Love Affair...With Food

Today is Labour Day in Jamaica and my dearest friend and Guest Author, Clara Brown, is teasing me about the breakfast she is having as she is off work. Why? She knows that I love food, especially that of my country of birth.

I am a very passionate person – and food is one of my greatest passions. My weight and yes, my health status have told that tale very well. However, in the last few years, I have managed to maintain a more healthy weight relative to my height and structure.

Image: wallpapersshop.net
For 16 years, I lived with someone who loved to cook. I too love to cook but my then partner actually wanted to cook professionally. Soon after our migration to Canada, that dream came through with entrance into a culinary school. For almost two years, I was the guinea pig for various recipes, old and newly developed. My waistline protested but my mouth delighted in the delicacies coming out of our kitchen.

Food has been a comforter to me. Now, my relationship with it is changing. I no longer “live to eat” but “eat to live,” and my health is grateful. Low carb meals have become a way of life for me. Since January 2014, my diet has been centered around and challenged by finding suitable and tasty low carb options for my sweet and breading loving taste buds.

At Clara's for supper - November 2013
It is simply another stage of the journey, one that I am enjoying. Now back in Canada, a wider variety and a more international array of food options are open to me.

What is your relationship with food? Any special dish that you really love to cook? Share them with us here or on our Facebook page. Do follow us on Twitter as well.

Have a fun weekend exploring the food of your neighbourhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment