Friday 2 May 2014

My Bestfriend Gave Me The Best Advice

Claudette Esterine - Founder
Daughters of Sheba started as a private Facebook group back in 2010. Over the years, we have evolved and downsized. One thing that has not changed, however, is our straight talk.

The Group started with about 40 women. Men were never included as we always wanted a private space for "big woman talk." Today, with 16 members, myself included, DOS as we fondly call ourselves remain a women's only and secret group. Even with the soft launch of the DOS Foundation, nothing has changed about the intimacy of the core Group.

Some of the best advice I have personally received and in some instances given, came from the Sistahs of DOS.

Over the last few months, some of those advice have been shared through this blog. Today, I will highlight a few.

Best Advice from my girlfriends (and I) on:

"The Poverty of Things"


"Excelling did not mean having cars, a huge house, acres of land as Maas Joe and Miss Daisy. To us, ‘things’ meant enough to provide fuel for the journey along the road to achievement of our life-long ambitions.  Our mother never put us under any pressure to do our school work.  Her repeated chant was instead, ”Pickney, work hard because mi nuh have no legacy fi lef give oonu."  Another perspective on ‘things’. We learnt from an early age that we can only count the cows in our backyard, not anybody else’s." Clara Brown


"Having His Baby..."

"Certain it was an inaccurate reading, statistics have proven that many EPT's are, back to the store I went. This trip, to make certain doubly sure, I purchased one…no - two…okay - three  more tests. Results: all positive." Karen Jeanette


"Murdering Your Boss"

"New research studies show that stress at work can kill you! Literally or could lead you to kill someone!!! The stress may be due to the demands of the job itself but, often the stress resides in a troubled relationship with your boss.  In my case, it was evident in a strong negative, almost physical repulsion I had to my new boss.  In his presence (and even at the thought of him), I had a visceral reaction that signaled an emotional ‘dis-stress', evident in my unusual excessive use of expletives and feeling physically troubled and frustrated." Janice Chang


"My first husband loved the feel of his hands. He especially loved how they felt on me. The last beating I received from him landed me in an emergency room in a foreign land. It was the last time a man or anyone for that matter would lay a hand on me." Claudette Esterine

These are but few of the best advice from the ladies at DOS. Browse through our archive for more on a variety of topics. 

If you would like to share some advice with us and our readers, on any topic, drop je a line. We would love if you would also *Like* our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter.

Enjoy the rest of the best day of your life!

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment