Monday 5 May 2014

Dust Your Knees Off: Celebrate Your Life In 5 Steps

Claudette Esterine
"Are you kidding me?" You ask as you read the title of this blog post. "Celebrate my life no matter what or who is in it?"

"Is this some New Age mumbo jumbo you are peddling Claudette?" Not interested.

No it is not, granted it has been labelled as New Age bull by those who are of more fundamental beliefs. As well, it is absolutely your choice to live and experience life however you desire.

My own experiences have taught me that the journey through life can be as rough or smooth; filled with struggle or ease or a trip that I cannot wait to have come to an end. It could also be a ride that I relish each twist and turn of as something exhilarating is ahead.

"Have you ever had bill collectors at your door while you hide under your bed hoping your kid will not say 'Mommy said she is not home?'"

Yes I have.

"What about not knowing how the mortgage is going to be paid for the second month running?"

Three months was my experience.

"Hunger, have you gone days without eating and homeless?"

Honestly, I have been fortunate to always find something to eat. It might not have been an healthy choice but it kept starvation at bay. However, I have had the experience of not knowing where I would lay my head for a few nights.

Through all these situations and challenges (that is what I have learned to view them as) the lesson was the same.

Celebrate my life right where I am at and watch it change for the better.

Jamaican Cherries (Image: real-jamaica-vacations.com)
My mother was nicknamed "Cherry" and for most of my childhood into adult years, I would hear her constantly sing one song: "I was once the fruit but now I am the branch!"

The emotions that I experienced hearing her lament her journey ranged from guilt to annoyance. Little did I know then to explain to her that she was "speaking into her life."

Doing what?

My personal view of the Bible is that it is a book of Wisdom, as are many others. On the subject of "speaking into your life," here is a powerful Wisdom from Proverbs 18:21:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits."
Some of you thought my suggestion to celebrate your life no matter what is some New Age crap. However, this message from the Bible underscores my point. I have written on this subject before, many times, that we create our experiences. You might not like what is happening in your life right at this moment and you can change it.

It is a process that include:
  1. Acknowledging what is happening. Do not deny that your partner is cheating or that you have lost your job. It is happening.
  2. Accept your influence and/or role in the situation. To do so is not to blame yourself but to lovingly recognize what your thought patterns and your behaviour were to have attracted this experience
  3. Celebrate your new awareness and the blessons inherent in the experience. Rejoice that you now know how to change and grow from this point on.
  4. Speak new words into your life. Claim a more evolved and joy-filled experience. Do this every day and expect it to happen.
  5. Love yourself as you patiently await the unfolding of your new "good."

Mistakes and I are the greatest pals! 

There was a time that I would
Image: quoteswave.com
admonish myself for my mistakes. Shame would overcome me and I would suffer through the "humiliation" of having made another mistake. Not anymore.

That was when I cared about people's opinion of me and hence lived my life to meet their high or low expectations - they had both and I gladly pleased them.

Now, mistakes are my reason to throw a bigger party. Sometimes, yes, it might start out as a pity party but thank God for friends, angels in my life who know me well. They help me change the music very quickly! I celebrate my mistakes as a chance to prove my mettle, to make it and to grow through another challenge.

The taste of the dust on my hands is delicious as I pick myself up and brush my knees off.

My favourite words to speak into my life in moments like this? "This too shall pass!" More recently, my girlfriends have spoken some other words into my life as I dusted myself off from another fall: "You got this, girl!"

As I sort my clothes to take up my new position with an NGO here in Edmonton, I am creating a new schedule to ensure DOS is covered and that my independent distributorship continues to grow. I am celebrating my life and the growth and challenges ahead.

What about you, what types of parties have you been throwing lately? Are you celebrating your life or moaning your way through it?

Share your experiences with me by leaving a comment here, on our Facebook page and/or follow us on Twitter.

Whatever you do, change the music today and dance because "You got this!"


Claudette is the Founder of Daughters of Sheba Foundation and Editor of our blog. She is a Jamaican-Canadian and a Free Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment