Wednesday 21 May 2014

Everyone Can Do Small Things With Great Love

Wednesday so it means an audio blog! Listen here.

TRANSCRIPT

For the longest while, I religiously bought lottery tickets. It was the only form of gambling I participated in but it never yielded me more than $20 each time I won.

From time to time I still purchase a ticket but the notepad that holds my plans for my big win has long been discarded. Who would get what was carefully written out. I had telephone numbers for lawyers, investment consultants, accountants and all other types of advisors a multi millionaire would need.

I am a planner. Check my phone, my tablet and my laptop and you will find detailed plans for my life, dinner parties, trips...anything that comes to mind - I write out a plan of execution.

Until it finally sunk, through the last rough and rocky road Life took me down, that no plan that I could possibly write would match what The Universe has for me.

My last big plan took me to a place where big promises were broken, my life turned upside down and I was left virtually homeless.

Not sure what next but recognizing that all my planning had come to naught and it was time to take my hands off the wheel, I surrendered.

That was when angels started appearing. They came doing small things that made significant difference to my day, a moment or how things unfolded. A place to stay opened up and the landlord decided to give me a break and not take two months deposit. He also turned around and drove me through the neighborhood showing me the bus routes upon hearing that I had no car.

A coworker took a liking to me and would give me a ride, whenever she had her boyfriend's car, to the bus stop after work when it was -10 or raining.

Dinner invitations came from people I barely knew. Coffee brought to me when I did not ask for any but really needed one. Surprise outings when I was alone and lonely for the holidays.

Blessings, so many blessings and too numerous to count started pouring in when I stopped planning for the big things, the big win and the big love.

Often times we discount small acts of kindness. We write them off as "just this" or "just that." Yet, my experience continually teaches me that it is those small acts that are the greatest expressions of Love.

Remember the story of the women in the Scriptures who gave their last and smallest gift of oil or food? Their small act done with great love changed lives and possibly the trajectory of the recipient's lives.

What small act are you doing? Are you:

  • Keeping your words
  • Smiling with strangers
  • Being thoughtful to those who can do nothing for you
  • Sharing your story to help someone know they are not alone?

These are all acts that we can all do without winning the lottery jackpot. Why not try a couple today and change not only someone else's life but your own?

Do *Like* our Facebook page and subscribe to our blog to keep up to date with our Foundation's happenings.

Be love for the rest of the day! Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment