Tuesday 6 January 2015

Let Us Dance!

With age comes wisdom they say but they forgot to add that your "dancing" skills greatly improve.

Furthermore, just to be completely accurate and nondiscriminatory against our youth, not every "aging" person gets more wise or become better "dancers." As well, there are many old souls and Bing Cosby's among our youths.

Having set the record straight, back to the original thought of aging and improved dancing skills.

Now read this carefully:

"Not everyone gets invited to the big dance, only those who are ready for it."

Youth - physical and psychological - is the rehearsal room for the big dance. We get to practice our steps, try out various dance moves and master a few, a couple or one. For some, it will take many years and several parties to get the moves just right. In my experience, it also took many embarrassing moments, flops, inappropriate steps and stepping on many partners' toes for me to finally get my moves just how I like them.


Then the invitation came.

I was only 37 years old in numbers when my invite to the big dance came. At first, I did not recognize that that was it. Frankly, I had given up on dancing. After years of trying, it felt as if it was time to give up. My dancing with family was an abysmal failure. They seemingly preferred to lead and somewhere deep inside of me, I just knew that that music was doing nothing for me.

The people with whom I fell in love were mostly great dancers. There are countless songs that still play in my ears, reminding me of long slow dances in darkened party halls. Somehow, however, we could not transfer those moods, we could not continue dancing into the light.

My dance with strangers, particularly those operating in the financial sphere, was ruinous! I just could not find my groove with them.

When my invite to the big dance turned up, I noticed that there was no date. It simply read:

"Ms Claudette Esterine is cordially invited to The Dance, hosted by Life at Everywhere she is courageous enough to be Herself."

No date, no time and worse of all, no flipping dress code!

Almost 13 years later and I am still dancing:
  • To my own heartbeat
  • By myself and loving it
  • Financially unburdened
  • With simple abundance and pure joy.

Will there be a physical dance partner one day? I do not know and that is not my focus. What matters is that I am dancing/living according to and in alignment with my inner band.

Did your invitation come? You might miss it if you are not ready. Let me help you. Visit the DOS Foundation page for topical, motivational and inspirational tips, articles and posts. For more in depth dancing, join me on my professional page and let us get this party started!

Be blessed and dance!


Claudette is the Founder and Editor of DOS Foundation and this blog. She is Jamaican-Canadian and currently lives in Edmonton, Alberta.


No comments:

Post a Comment