Monday 26 January 2015

Beauty & Truth Telling: Miss Universe 2015

So Miss Jamaica, Kaci Fennell, did not win the the title of Miss Universe 2015.

No, I have not gone loopy and started following or taking a keen interest in beauty pageants. Beauty remains much further than skin deep in my books.

That apparently is the bone of contention, particularly among Miss Jamaica's followers on the island and on Twitter. Many claim that she did not win because of her nontraditional, Halle Berryesque hairstyle. What they all seem to believe is that she had the most honest and truthful response to the question, "What is your country's greatest contribution to the world?"

Miss Jamaica shared her view that Bob Marley and Usain Bolt are the island's greatest contributions. According to the commentaries, the few that I indulged in, that was what not only lost her the crown but relegated her to fifth place.

Now, if you could imagine me in a bathing suit, sauntering and twisting on a stage other than the one in my imagination in front of a fitting room mirror, that would not have been my response. However, I am not knocking Ms Fennel for hers. It was the truth as she feels it.

Beauty pageants, some job interviews, religious organizations, even family and friends have set answers to questions that they pose to you. Seemingly asking you what do you think, the expectation is that you will regurgitate what they taught, fed or hope that you learned.

If the commentators are correct, Miss Jamaica's answer did not win her this particular prize. Those who have lost coveted prizes by responding truthfully as they see things well understand what she might be feeling the morning after.

In the end, if her response was in fact her truth, she won. The glamour and glory of being crowned Miss Universe will last for a year, maybe two. After that, she would be the girl who won in 2015.

The lesson gained by telling her truth will last her this lifetime and beyond.

This story is opportune for me to present my understanding of dysfunction bred in lies and dis-ingenuity. Imagine had she given a different response, one that was a lie to her heart but would raise her acceptance level among the judges, Miss Fennel would have to keep up that story.

The mythical or not so depending on your view - gaydar is one that I possess. It is almost as good as my bullshitdar. While I might allow you to spread your blend of crap to me, do not let my smile comfort you to believe that your lies are not clear to me.

Silence is often my response to untruths. However, if it is important enough to my well being, that of my loved ones or in the interest of those who are temporarily "voiceless,' I will not hesitate to call you on your bull.

Having lived the better part of 40 years in a cesspool of lies, deceit and betrayal, I am so allergic to those who peddle in it. Up until she was almost 18 years old, my daily diet to my daughter was, "Do not lie to me! Tell me the truth and I will deal with whatever it is!" I think she got it, at least enough to be quiet around me rather than tell me crap.

Beauty pageants and competitions based on external features will never get my attention for longer than a few tweets and a Facebook post here and there. I am a womanist and believe in the fullness, wholeness and completeness of all human beings that require no placing of first, second or last.

Yet, whether it was her intention or not, Miss Kaci Fennel repeated an important lesson last night - "Speak the truth and speak it ever, cost it what it will."

All the best young lady!

If you would like to share your thoughts on this or any of our articles, please do so here or at DOS Foundation. For personal coaching visit my page.

Have a truth- filled day.

Photo source: dailymail.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment