Thursday 22 January 2015

Ever The Optimist

Maybe I have said this before but so what, it bears repeating. Furthermore, I am soon a half-centenarian, so I am allowed. Lol.

"Be careful what you wish for as you might surely get it!"

That saying was a favourite of my ex, well one of, the one with who that I had the longest, live-in relationship.

Some are of the view that wellness is our natural state. When I look at my granddaughter, Mahalia, I would agree. Here is a child born prematurely, emerging from an environment that was no longer nurturing her. She weighed 4lbs 1 ounce and on the morning of her birth tension about her and her mother's conditions was running high.

Having been in a similar situation myself 27 years prior, and having since experienced many devastating moments in my life, I stood in the hallway affirming well being. My friends around the world and Mahalia's grandfather and his family stood in the gap with us all night.

We were not wishing. We were expecting the best outcome.

Mahalia's well being was restored and to now it only improves. It is a lesson that, for as long I am able,  I will continuously impart to her.

"Guard your heart with all your might as from it flows the issue of your life."

Who is an optimist? Is it someone who's thought is always positive, never doubting that "things always work out" and expects only the best outcome?

I like the late Nelson Mandela's description of himself as an optimist. It is one that I have co opted as my own since reading his book, "Long Walk to Freedom: Autobiography of Nelson Mandela:"

"I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one's head pointed toward the sun, one's feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death."


What is your understanding of being an optimist? Are you one? Share your thoughts with me here or via email.

Do have a bright, sun shiny day!

No comments:

Post a Comment