Thursday 29 January 2015

Fire The Peanut Gallery!

My daughter, my 7-month old granddaughter and I will soon be travelling to Jamaica to celebrate my 50th birthday. We were initially planning to leave the week before the big day, February 15, however that changed when we saw the ticket prices.

Tabetha at Flight Center here in Edmonton, found us excellent fares with one proviso - we have to stay longer in the sun. Reluctantly we accepted.

The real challenge that this poses is that my daughter has three days to move and reasonably settle her family in their new home before we take off next week. She was told that the keys to their new place would not be available until February 1. What that meant is she had to come stay with me "in the meantime," to avoid paying fees at the 'old place'.

Displaced from my comfortable queen size bed to the single one in the bedroom that I set up for my granddaughter, I was up again at 3:00 am today. My daughter joined me in the kitchen and our ensuing conversation about their new place, possibly changing her car to an SUV and our trip (and the 50th birthday party of course), eventually led to today's topic.

Who are your advisors?

Telling me about the reaction and comments of a "friend" regarding a possible purchase, I asked my daughter, "Why is that woman so negative and never has anything good to say?"

I have learned my lesson to not dictate or even suggest who Abi (my daughter) should be friends or associate with. She has taught me the hard way the folly of such behaviour. So, I carefully asked a second question - "Did you ask her for her opinion on this purchase?"

Of course the answer was no. Some people require no asking, they have so much opinions about other people's affairs that it spurts and oozes from them. My experience is that these opinions often thwart the intended recipient's dreams, desires and hopes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sharing your own experience with a matter - if asked and clearly stating that it is your stuff. What this particular woman was doing and what many do, is to proffer their fears, anxieties, judgments and basically their negativities without a "by your leave!"

As I told my daughter, I am sharing with you. We have to be mindful of who we:

  1. Tell our business
  2. Take advice from
  3. Let into our personal and spiritual spaces

Boundaries, clarity about what is yours and what is theirs, and paying more attention to your inner wisdom and your dreams are key to living the life that you want - not the one that Mary, Jane or Sue is trying to live through you!

Whatever your political views, Karl Marx's words ring true for us all:  

"Surround yourself with people who make you happy. People who make you laugh, who help you when you’re in need. People who genuinely care. They are the ones worth keeping in your life. Everyone else is just passing through."

Remember, you are the CEO of your life. Fire the advisors that are blocking the Love, laughter and light!

Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment