Thursday 6 March 2014

The Clarity of Headaches

Have you ever tried thinking much less writing with a piercing, mind numbing headache?

Went to bed around 8:00 last evening after an emotional day. I am a morning person so with Sistahs from the Daughters of Sheba Group coming over for brunch, I was up and out of bed just before 4:00 a.m. There was a bit to be done in preparation for their visit, as well I needed to have posts for our page and tweets sorted. Betwixt and between getting everything done, I was fielding pings from my long distance interest and others who wanted my attention.

Although hectic, entertaining while still maintaining an online presence and a long distance relationship, it was a wonder-filled afternoon with the Sistahs; so much laughter and sharing of stories. I knew it was going to be an early bedtime for me but had no idea it would be an even further emotional one.

The ending of a great day was a downward slide on the emotional scale. It lead to my arising at the crack of dawn with an headache that was threatening to burst open my frontal lobes.

Hardly able to think straight, I came up with the brilliant idea that today would be #ThoughtfulThursday on DOS! 

Clearly I wasn't thinking, as my head was and continues to pound even now. Yet, the idea came, so too did one to check what functions the frontal lobes are responsible for.  This was the part of my head that was killing me since dawn. I needed to know what functions I would be losing if I surgically removed it. Here is what I found:
"The executive function of the frontal lobes involve the ability to recognize future consequences resulting from current actions, to choose between good and bad actions (or better and best), override and suppress socially unacceptable responses, and determine similarities and differences between things or events. The frontal lobes also play an important part in retaining longer term memories which are not task-based. These are often memories associated with emotions derived from input from the brain's limbic system. The frontal lobe modifies those emotions to generally fit socially acceptable norms." Wikipedia 
OMG!!! No wonder that part of my head has been hurting all day! "Consequences resulting from current actions, choices between 'good' and 'bad' and memories associated with emotions" were exactly what were weighing on me throughout a virtually sleepless night.

Men it seems have a far easier time adopting the dog philosophy. As strong as I say and know that I am, my preference is not to hurt others. Most women, not all, tend to sniff around an issue before peeing on it. I am so guilty of that, wanting to make sure that there is nothing left. The end result is days like this - severe pain and ruing.

My saving grace is that I have learned to cherish myself so much that two days of pain in any part of my body is not an option. You disrespect me once, twice maybe but a third opportunity you will not get.

Thoughtful Thursday will end for me with a precise decision and a long piss on whatever cannot be trusted, believed or respected.

I think my frontal lobes are coming back on line. What about yours? Is there an issue or issues in your life right now calling you to careful consideration of consequences? Have you spent the time reflecting on how you are being treated and your emotions around that?

Do share with me here, on our page or tweet me. You can also subscribe to our BBM channel and have a more personal chat with me. The pin is: C004D8ABD

Have a great rest of the day! Remember there is always Advil :)

Photo Source: achievetruehealth.com

No comments:

Post a Comment