Monday 3 March 2014

I Am Claudette

It took all of 15 years or so for me to finally answer her question.

"Who do you think you are to be writing those things and putting out there?" She was livid in a genteel, upper class way. Mad because my writings made reference to her child with whom I was in a longterm relationship.

Communication has always been my first love although it was not immediately clear to me as a child standing on my soap box in our backyard. At first, I thought being a doctor was my future career because my next door neighbour was destined to be one.

For many years, even through high school dreading another Math class, politics began calling my name. Over my young adulthood into my early thirties, I would be involved in the politics of my island home to varying degrees. Much of that involvement was on the communication front.

With the advent of the Internet and from the first day that I turned on our giant of a computer that was handed down to us, I have not stopped writing, chatting with people and generally sharing.

It is just me. It is who I am.

That is what my response should have been to my "in-law." Words, however, failed me. Reflection, contemplation, self-assessment, formal studying and life experiences thankfully did not. Now at 40 plus, I have claimed my place in the world, my world.

Living authentically from the core of my being, there is no desire, inclination or need to respond to anyone's "who do you think you are" question. I am Claudette and I am doing me as only I can.
"I honestly believe that people of my generation despise authenticity, mostly because they're all so envious of it." Chuck Klosterman 
I have no idea how old Mr. Klosterman was when he wrote that statement but it matters not. Why? Well, I really do not give two figs about anyone's feelings about me (the negative ones). Those who remain in my space are people who love all of me - the touchy-feely me, the easy to cry and even faster to tell you straight up how she sees it Claudette.

You either accept that I am going to love you hard and will sacrifice everything for you and honor that or get the hell out of my way!

Again I say, youth is truly overrated but it was through those years that I grew into the woman that I now am, love and completely adore.

Hope you feel the same way about yourselves. Please share with me how your "authenticating" process is going. You can do so here, on Facebook or Twitter. We also now have a BBM Channel - ping me at C004D8ABD

Continue to have a great "I Want You To Be Happy Day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment