Tuesday 18 March 2014

I'm Having Your Baby And Then?


I was a very proud (and what seemed to be life-long) career woman who waited until her early 30's to marry the love of her life.  I also waited quite a while after that to try to conceive a child.

In fact, our Dear Son (DS) was conceived during the final month of the two year conception time frame I created for my Dear Husband (DH) and I.  Seriously, two years is a quite long time to limit my weekend indulgence of red wine with dinner!

Not to mention that I could no longer take my daily migraine maintenance medication nor anything stronger than an OTC pain reliever to abate my chronic migraines while trying to conceive. I surely was not going to continue taking those ridiculously large prenatal vitamins for any longer than necessary.  And hey, I was getting OLD! (Did we queue the violins yet ~ if not, they are long overdue).

Well, my clock ran out.  

Just as luck would have it, the same evening my DH and I planned a fun-filled night of wining and dining with friends (LOOONNNNGGG overdue for me), the thought came to me: "You might be pregnant."

Tried to tell myself to stop the nonsense but, of course, my obstinate mind refused to heed the warning. I drove to the store and purchased an Early Pregnancy Test (EPT). The result: Positive.  

Certain it was an inaccurate reading, statistics have proven that many EPT's are, back to the store I went. This trip, to make certain doubly sure, I purchased one…no - two…okay - three  more tests. Results: all positive.  

There went my wining and dining! 

Well it may have turned into just a wee bit of “whining” and yummy dining, as everyone else enjoyed my coveted red wine with their meals. Secretly, I was feeling gleeful that a baby was on the way.  

Nine months later, my little bundle of joy, DS, arrived.  Eight weeks later, my little bundle of joy went to daycare full time, after all, I was a lifelong career woman – and as luck would have it, my job was a GOOD one that I really enjoyed!

Almost two years later, DH and I noticed that DS was experiencing delays in speech and cognitive development.  We immediately took him to a plethora of professionals for evaluation; only to find out he was too young to be accurately evaluated.  However, one thing DH and I knew - DS needed help.  If no one else was going to do it, we certainly were.  

Who better than me? After all, I did have experience from working for Head Start and in facilitating and placing foster children. So yes, I should stay home and help our DS! 

Wait?  I should do what??  Give up my career?  

I have to admit that was one of my thoughts, albeit a fleeting one.  And yet another thought came to me – and this time I listened as it calmly yet persistently said, “This is the best job of your life.  This is truly the opportunity of a lifetime, utilizing your experience to help your DS, your bundle of joy, the light of your life."   

Consequently, I jumped right in.  And that decision proved to be the most rewarding one of my life.   My best job ever!!!  And when I see the vast improvement our DS is making, it brings more tears of joy to my heart than I have ever known.  


Do I get jealous when my DH talks about his many accomplishments at work?  Yes!  I am sincerely happy for him but I am surely jealous. Do I get lonely when I hear of my friends going out for after dinner drinks? Yes!  I think the fact that they have a chance to unwind is imperative and should also be enjoyable but, I am certainly lonely.

Do I want to pull my hair out when my DS acts up hourly while I am still struggling with my chronic daily migraines?  YES! YES!  YES!  I scream (quite loudly) into my pillow.

BUT...

I absolutely love my little family with all of my heart and feel truly blessed and very proud of ME to be able to help us all in this way! 

Yes, I had your baby, stayed home and I am very happy.

What about you? Are you a stay-at-home mother? Share your story with us here, on our Facebook page or on Twitter


Karen Jeanette is a member of the DOS Facebook Group and lives in Arizona, USA with her beautiful family. She will be a regular Guest Author on our blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment