Tuesday 3 March 2015

S.D.B.: It's Not A Disease

Admittedly it sounds like an acronym for a sexually transmitted disease but if remembering and practicing any part of it keeps you free of negativity then I am just fine with that.

S.D.B. = Scrub, Drop or Bolt

Either or all is my suggestion for helping you #BreakLoose from the mental stranglehold of negativity.

When the idea of this came to me, as usual in the wee hours, a couple songs and an athlete rode in with it.

"Scrub is the guy who can't get no love from me... ." Remember that line from the 90's TLC's hit? Well that is exactly the attitude and precisely what you are invited to do with negativity in all its forms - stop giving it love. 

In yesterday's blog post, I spoke of the need to deprogramme our minds and this is one practical way of doing so - scrubbing ourselves of automatic negative responses.

Exactly how do you do that especially as I have said these responses have become automated?

That is where Snoop Dogg comes in. "Drop it like it's hot!"

Oftentimes a negative response or preemptive thought comes to you regarding a person, situation or event. It is one of those that you had not recognized in your deliberate scrubbing session. What I have done with a good measure of success in the past is to draw a line down the middle of a sheet of paper and to the left I list my most practised, programmed and patterned thoughts. To the write, I do what Katie Byron coaches her clients - I turn the thought around. Then I sit with the turned thought and reflect on how it has already manifested in my experience.

One example is my thought around money. To the left of the sheet, I wrote "money is in short supply, we are poor." That was what I was programmed to believe by my mother and the politics/economy of my country of origin. Turning that thought around, I wrote something like "money always comes to me in quantities sufficient to meet my needs, I have enough.".

That was my scrubbing exercise and as you might have noted, in the turnaround, I did not say "I am rich," or anything that my mind would not accept. Scrubbing is not suffocating your senses, you cannot lie to your subconscious as it does not operate on words you write or even say but what you feel saying or writing those words.

Then there are thoughts that you simply have to "drop like it's hot," to preserve your sanity. In my case, such thoughts are the ones that deliberate diminishes my humanity, womanhood and particularly my soul. I am just not going there or entertaining them for a second.

Now, there are situations, events and people that you have to take on the attribute and name of the current fastest man in the world and Bolt!

This might be physically or mentally bolting but leave you must. It is putting legs to our Breaking Loose challenge. These are times when you either hear, see or smell that nothing good, life-enhancing or uplifting will come out of attending the event, conversing with the individual or contemplating the situation.

Just bolt!

So today, Day #2 of our challenge, you are invited to S.D.B. As you go through the day, make a note of how you used each, one or all three strategies to reduce negativity in your day.

Looking forward to hearing your results. Leave a comment here or visit my coaching page where you will find more tips on this and other strategies to Break Loose!

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment