Monday 9 March 2015

Say And Be What You Mean

Nothing annoys me more than lies and deceit. My preference is that you tell me exactly what you are:
  1. Feeling about me
  2. Wanting of me
  3. Hoping that I will do

That is the way I am with everyone and would love being treated the same way in return. It took me many years and pails of tears to get to this way of being. All worth it as I do believe most, if not every single one, of my relationships - using the word broadly - are open and honest.

Save for the occasional snake or manipulator.

Due to my firm belief in like attracting like, whenever such a person shows up in my life and I identify them as such, a quick self-check is done.

Say what you mean and be what you say is one of the cardinal rules of my life now. It is one that I suggest to you on this the eighth day of our Breaking Loose challenge.

"Be Impeccable With Your WordSpeak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love." Don Miguel Ruiz

That is one if the Four Agreements and if you do not know the other three or read the book, you might want to get it and do so. The teacher will appear when the student is ready and my teachers have come and continue to appear in many forms. This book was a valuable teaching moment for me.

There are times when I am challenged by this principle - to say only what I mean. Expediency of time, energy and my attention sometimes tempt me to bull shit to be able to move on. Never told anyone that I am an angel or infallible.

In the end, however, the highest price is paid by me as I spend more time second guessing my choice of words; expending energy being annoyed at myself for succumbing to the temptation; or losing my focus on what is at hand trying to figure how to correct my behaviour and hurt that I have caused.

It simply is not worth it.

My daughter once told me she thought that I am a cold person. She arrived at this conclusion, temporary as it would turn out to be, as I refused to be dragged into drama and chose not to offer platitudes. That is exactly how I want to be treated.

Tell me you do not like me and leave my space. Tell me you care for me and walk it as I do with you.

Today, as you grow through this day - say and be what you mean. At the end of the day, just before bed, make a note of three instances when you know that you did. Remember, however, that this way of being is founded in Love and Truth - of Self and Life.

Be blessed and be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment