Wednesday 13 August 2014

Butt Out In Three Steps

This is something that I have written on before, however, the recent passing of Robin Williams has brought it to the fore again, at least with me.

Why is it that we spend so much of our lives concerned with what others are doing with theirs? Why are we so nosy and incapable of staying focussed on our own affairs?

My view, unasked as usual, is that if each of us would spend more, if not most, of our time concerned with what is going on in our hearts and homes, paying more attention to the issues of both, then there would be less drama all around.

Facebook has turned many of us into voyeurs, full time snoops into other people’s business. I raise my hand in guilt of being one of those who would regularly look at my friends’ pages and even look up people from my past. Guilty and ashamedly so I am.

This is no longer my practice. I have left the private investigation business to those who care.

In the early days of this particular social medium, I spent too many hours checking out other people’s business. So much so that my own daughter would block me from hers! Yes she did, as she was fed up with my contentious behaviour with people who made negative and disparaging comments on her page – about her, about people of colour, about women or just about anything that ticked me off!

Maybe I should not have confessed that? I believe in full disclosure and for me to share my view on any topic, it behoves me to confess or admit my digressions from which I learned valuable lessons.

Another lesson in “minding my own business,” came a few weeks ago and again with my daughter. She is way more private than I will ever be so some of the details will remain private. Suffice it to say, we parted ways physically because again I did not keep my mouth shut and out of her affairs. This was a hard lesson to have repeated but one that I got, finally.

Let me quickly add that this whole issue of “minding your own business” is not about turning a blind eye to injustice, abuse or any action or behaviour that demeans humans and animals alike. What I am referring to here is:
  1. Not offering unsolicited advice
  2. Not interfering or attempting to dictate to others how they should lead their lives
  3. Checking your intentions before responding to another’s request for advice/suggestions

A fourth could be: Keeping your lioness caged when you perceive your adult children’s dignity is being challenged but they have not asked you to go to war with them.

That was the lesson taught to me recently by my daughter and one that I have taken fully onboard. Now, I have don my cheerleader gear – hot pants and all – and encouraging her from the sidelines.
“Let people do what they need to do to make them happy, mind your business, and do what you need to do to make you happy.”
Image: pinterest.com
Are you in the habit of giving unsolicited advice or taking care of other people’s business without being asked? Want to learn how to stop butting into other people’s affairs and pay closer attention to yours? It really is simple and I am willing to share with you how I am doing it. So drop me a line and/or visit our Facebook page for more details.


Have a great rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment