Thursday 14 August 2014

Blooming Amazing!

Clara Brown
A few weeks ago, on one of our locally produced TV shows, there was a discussion with a group of brilliant students who will soon be entering secondary level schools. The host asked each of student to describe their feelings regarding the school at which they were placed. In Jamaica, we have a system that places students based on their grade at the final, Common Entrance, examinations.

The only girl on the panel of five, aged 12, declared excitedly that she was very happy and was looking forward to going to High School even though the school at which she was placed was not her first choice. This young lady said she believes one should always strive to "bloom where they are planted."

Soon after, I saw that my 'Champion Sister' (my nickname for Claudette), posted a similar message as this 12 year old had said that had me 'flabbergasted'. I was surprised, proud of her and her words at such a young age caused me to reflect and introspect.  

Have I always bloomed wherever I am planted? In my blooming, am I hurting others as I allow my blossoms to burst forth?

Seeking external motivation, I frequently listen to the speeches of Martin Luther King, Jnr. They are all favourites but one that resonates with me most is the "Street Sweeper" speech:
"If you cannot be a pine on the top of a hill be a scrub in the valley, but be the best little scrub on the side of the hill. Be a bush if you can't be a tree. If you can't be the sun, be a star. It isn't by size that you win or failBe the best at whatever you are."
Another excerpt that stands out with me is: "My friends, even if it falls your lot to be a Street Sweeper, go on out and sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures: sweep streets like Handel and Beethoven composed music; sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry.  Sweep streets so well that all the hosts of Heaven and Earth will have to pause and say,"Here lived a great Street Sweeper who swept his job well.".

A lot of my friends  are not very comfortable with their status  right now.  They continuously  are seeking ways to get themselves out of their present situation with such a rush, hoping to make a 'better life'.  What challenges me however, is that they seldom spend enough time to study their lanes and run their best race.

Charlotte Beck said:
" Life always gives us exactly the teacher we need at every moment.  This includes every mosquito, every misfortune, , every red light, every traffic jam, every obnoxious Supervisor (or employee), every illness, every loss, every moment of joy, or depression, every addiction, every piece of garbage, every breath-----every moment is a Teacher."
Life also has a way of putting a hold or pause button on our journey.  You can  either sweep your job well or frustrate yourself by cursing where you are and make plans to escape from the situation. Be warned, however, that if fate dictates that you stay in the 'holding' position, the escape plan will be an effort in futility.  It is best that you embrace and till the soil, bringing forth plants which bloom until the change comes along.

To bloom does not always have the same look.  A huge sunflower and a small daisy both bloom - different sizes but both bring so much pleasure and joy. Size does not alter the impact.

Sunflower, daisy or dandelion, bloom where you are planted, accept your present circumstances and make the best of the situation.  Accept that you cannot control everything and make the best of the situations you are presented with. There are many things in life we cannot change but it will be a much more pleasant experience if you keep a positive attitude.

This is my status on BBM and I am in no hurry to change it:

"Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people cannot take their eyes off you."

That, in my view, is blooming exactly where you are planted. Would you agree?

Share your blooming story with us, here or on our Facebook page and have a great rest of the week!





No comments:

Post a Comment