Friday 4 April 2014

Whatever Comes My Way

Claudette
"Whatever," she said to me, rolling her neck.

That was my daughter. She was being her obnoxious self and it was making me really angry. That was not her usual demeanor.

Quiet, soft-spoken with big doe-like eyes, my baby girl was stepping into her power and was very much testing it out on me. Truth is, it was a test for both of us. We are two strong-willed women. That was a large part of the challenge, accepting that she was no longer the long-legged little Princess Chulumba that I would have given my life to protect.

There she was, recently disembarked from a misadventure around Europe, South America and the Horn of Africa. All largely at my expense and I was pissing mad because I told her it would have been just that.
My Princess Chulumba
She is very much my child, so she proceeded to ignore my warnings. Granted, my protest was unusually short-lived as I too was on an adventure of my own. It was not long into my doubting "this great opportunity" she had to work on a cruise ship that I decided to say, "Whatever."

Less than six months after she had boarded the flight to London, England, gone through her six weeks training programme and boarded the cruise line that baby girl was calling home disillusioned. Resisting the urge to remind her how much money I had spent on her 18-month College programme, the fees for her accepting this "great opportunity," the special equipment that she required AND her airfare, I asked "So what will you come back to Canada to do?" 

"Whatever." 

Hell no! I was having none of that. Either she laid out a plan or I will. Within weeks of that conversation, I had a plan. Within a year of executing that plan, I lost everything.

"Sovereign in the mountain air
Sovereign on the ocean floor 
 
With me in the calm
With me in the storm
Sovereign in my greatest joy 
 
In my deepest cry
With me in the dark
With me at the dawn 
 
In your everlasting arm
All the pieces of my life 
 
From beginning to the end
I can trust you 
 
In your never failing love
You work everything for good
God whatever comes my way
I will trust you 
 
In your everlasting arms
All the pieces of my life
From beginning to the end
I can trust you 
 
All my hopes
All I need
Held in your hands 
 
All my life
All of me
Held in your hands 
 
All my fears
All my dreams
God whatever comes my way
I will trust you" 
The words of that glorious song by Chris Tomlin describes my journey since November 2011. Learning from one of my greatest teachers, my daughter, "Whatever," now freely flows from my lips.

Today should have been the day I fly back to Canada. Last night before turning off the light in the beauty-filled bedroom with the luxurious king-sized bed that I have had the pleasure to rest in each night for four months now, I opened one of my guides to spiritual living, the Science of Mind monthly magazine.

Image: scienceofmind.com
I had forgotten to read it during what was an extremely hectic day. Much was on my mind not least of which was whether I had done the right thing cancelling my flight a couple days ago. My love interest and I were also contemplating who should visit with whom in the next little while. Should he fly to Jamaica or Canada (God alone knows where I will be) or should I take the transatlantic trip?

The affirmation for the day read simply: "Whatever is best."

A tear rolled down my cheek and kissed my lips. I licked the salty reminder that The Divine still knows how to create. I rolled over, turned out the light with a smile and said, "Whatever," seeing my daughter's big eyes smiling back at me.

Are you experiencing a moment of uncertainty as to what next? Are you busy trying to arrange whatever pieces comes your way? Drop me a line here or on our Facebook page and let us affirm the truth together. You can also follow us on Twitter.

Continue to have an awe-filled day as you embrace whatever comes. Namaste

Other Photo Source: talesfromthelou.wordpress.com


Claudette Esterine is the Founder of Daughters of Sheba Foundation and Editor of our blog. She is a Jamaican-Canadian and a Free Spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment