Thursday 17 April 2014

Are You The Boss or A Servant Leader?

Claudette Esterine
My face was smooching the computer screen as I tried to get one more thing done.

Four hours had passed since my girlfriend and fellow author of this blog, Clara, had dropped me off at my client's house. This was to have been a two hour job but little of what I had asked to be pre-prepared was done.

The good thing is - I love being on electronic-communication devices, so the hours had melded into one without me realizing.

Even 'better', I really love helping and serving others, especially those who respect and honour me with their generous portion of unconditional love.

Image: smsuc.com
Servant leadership is a term that at first baffled me. I heard it for the first time as a member of a United Church of Canada congregation in Alberta. The minister is a lesbian, married to her partner of umpteen years and one of the best preachers I have listened to in my second country.

Her sexuality is important here only because of the understanding of "servant leadership." This was 13 years ago and Alberta's then Premier was dead set against passing the law permitting gay marriages. Imagine my confusion then, still bearing a rumbustious rebel inside of me, hearing this soft spoken woman talking about serving the community in love, peace and with a focus on unity. The same community that many would not support her undying love for her partner?!

Delving into "The Servant Leader" book by Ken Blanchard and attending a couple workshops, I soon got it. Since then, I have hardly looked back. Of course there are people and situations that neither servant or leader I have no desire to be. You might have misread if you thought I said I became Jesus.

Still striving towards a deeper "being" of a servant-leader, my operating understanding of the nomenclature is simply this:  "We have all been called to be foot-washers." R. Alan Woods

Image: silvesterthemessenger.blogspot.com
Jesus was the 'biggest' foot-washer in history. Mary of Bethany, according to the Gospel of John, also did a similar act when she anointed Jesus' feet and wiped it with her hair.

Claudette (moi) is more on the level of the "unknown woman, who was a sinner" and who in the Gospels of Matthew and Mark, bathed Jesus' feet with her tears, anointed them and dried them with her hair.

Servant leadership, to me, embraces giving respect to others. How do I do that? Well Mollie Marti said it right: "The utmost form of respect is to give sincerely of your presence."

My client last night is not computer or Internet savvy. I could have gone in, done my two hours, collected my money and be out of there. Would I have served her? Would I have given her the "utmost form of respect?"

When you tell someone you will be there for them, that you are their friend, that you have their backs but you disappear when they need you; reappearing only when it is convenient for you - is that being "sincerely present?"

You know the answer. It is not.

Enter my home (heart) - whoever you are: stranger, lover, friend, Sistah or client and you really have "all of me."

It took me a few years to truly learn foot-washing and there is an art to it. You have to balance your service with a strong sense of knowing who you are. Without the latter, there is a high risk of being a footstool.
Image: lci.typepad.com

Today, Maundy Thursday, let us remember Jesus', Mary's and the "unknown woman's" act of servant-leadership. Get your wash bowl, your oil of Love and begin washing some feet - starting with your own.

Do have a peace-filled rest of the day. Please write to us here, or on our Facebook page. You can also follow us on Twitter.

Namaste

Claudette Esterine is the Founder of Daughters of Sheba Foundation and Editor of our blog. She is a Jamaican-Canadian and a Free Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment