Monday 11 May 2015

Motivational Monday: Turn Up Your Awesome

Would it surprise you to know that there are people in your life who are not happy about you being happy?


Do you know that that is their problem?


Over my lifetime, my circle of friends has grown and then shrunk. Contemplating today's essay on turning up your awesome, it struck me that my number of friends decreased in direct proportion to the increase in my awesomeness.


Growing up, no one told me that I bore this "awesome" quality. Not to disrespect her memory but the descriptions that my mother used in relation to me had nothing to do with me being "extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring great admiration."


The beauty that she saw in me seemed short lived - dying soon after she gave me the nickname "Cutie."


Interested more in my body than my awesomeness, wannabe lovers and those who I allowed to be would call me "sexy," "beautiful," "good woman, "sweet" even. Maybe it is my age but I simply cannot recall ever being told by anyone intimately close to me that I was "awesome."


So I learned to tell myself.


There are those who feel that such self-talk is egotistical, self-centered and arrogant. Well, that too is their business. When you have walked the long, dark, lonely and bitter road of low self-esteem, the only light guiding you out is from the lamp of survival. As you emerge, like I did, that lamp turns into the sun beaming sweetly as you step into the allness of you - however that may look.


I often refer to myself as "a woman with a past" and many are stuck on that. They attempt to remind me of it - in all its sordid, sticky and stained fabric. Yet, they fail to realise that I am no longer there. They refuse to take seriously the second half of that statement:
"A woman with a past, daily imagining her future."


In the daily lies the awesomeness. Having learned to live in the now, each morning as I rise my earliest thought, often the first one after 'thank you', is "all is working together for good - and it is awesome!"


Yesterday, my 26th celebration of Mother's Day, was the best and "awesomest" of my life. No, we did not don hats and attended a garden party. My daughter, granddaughter and my son-in-heart came to my place and shared a four-course meal that I chose to prepare. We talked some but quietly loved each other more and that is what made it the best day ever.


Simply awesome is how I would describe my life and myself now - without a hint of egotism, self-centeredness or arrogance. It is simply so because I named and claimed it as such.


You can too but I lovingly warn you - it is a daily, sometimes minutely endeavour. The rewards - an abundant, overflowing sense of wonder, appreciation and gratitude - are oh so delicious.


This awesome view on life is meant to be shared so if you are interested in some do drop me a line, join my list and visit my coaching page and let us together proudly proclaim our awesomeness!

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment