Tuesday 10 February 2015

Make No Apologies!

Have you ever met someone or been in a situation where you are expected to apologise for your happiness?

Been there and done that many times in my life. Now, I am at the point where being alone - physically and relationally - really does not bother me at all.

Being oneself is far more important than being who someone else needs you to be.

Recently, there was a situation in my professional life where an individual who did not wish to take responsibility for herself and her behaviour lashed out at me - verbally and physically. In her mind, it was unreasonable of me as the representative of the organization to expect her to do what every employee, myself included, in any job anywhere in the world is expected to do.

In essence, I was to turn a blind eye to noncompliance and non-adherence to company policies. When her actions got to the point of being totally intolerable, words had to be spoken - gently and kindly. She, however, took offence. I became the bitch for upholding policy and following senior management instruction.

There was a point when it was clear that I was to apologize for being punctual every day, getting my work done and even finding time to help others with theirs. It seems as if my efficiency was not something that ought to make me proud.

This kind of attitude I have seen before. While working with the federal government of Canada, many of my colleagues felt threatened by those of us with degrees. We were ridiculed and derided in an attempt to diminish our hopes of rising to higher levels. It was their own low self esteem that they were trying to mask by this behaviour.  Some of those targetted preferred not to mention that they had an university education. I did no such thing and in the end did not make too many friends among the rank and file.

When you have worked, studied, toiled and even struggled long and hard to reach wherever it is that you have - make no apologies for it.

"Once you've accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you. You are YOU and that's the beginning and the end, no apologies, no regrets." Unknown

Nothing stops any of us from reaching our goals but oneself. Therefore no one has the authority to demand, request, suggest or coerce apologies from you for setting standards for your life.

Your work ethic, relationship boundaries and your standard of living are yours to set. Allow no one to cause you to lower your bar to match their selfish needs. Conversely, expect no one to apologize for living life on their terms. Should that person choose not to respect and adhere to policies of a company that they have accepted employment with, or the expectations that come with say marriage, then state your position but do not settle for mediocrity performance or settle for a relationship that does not serve your highest 'good'.

Make no apologies for being the best you and desiring the best for you!

Namaste


No comments:

Post a Comment